Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Living Simply Isn't Simple Sometimes

As you know, I kinda have a knack for donating things. I've donated probably 40% of my family's belongings within the 2 years. All of it being things we never used, given to us, passed down to us, or was just a compulsive purchase that we later regretted.
I've given my son's clothing away. Bags & Bags. To friends and strangers, anyone that needed some. Otherwise they would be just sitting in my attic right now.

Next week Lupus Foundation will be picking up 2 large bags of things. Some of it is mine, some is my sisters.
When they haul it away, my house feels lighter. Its hard to describe. Its a sense of everything having a place, and that place isnt stuffed in the back of a closet.

But, do you want to know something? I'm not sure if I'd call myself a minimalist anymore.

After buying this house, and painting it, and decorating it, I just cant seem to label myself something as extreme as "minimalist".
If you look around my house, you'll see couches, dvds galore, autumn decorations, lots of toys for my son, and more.

I think lately, you could say I'm just frugal, and realistic.

I know I don't need a closet and a dresser full of clothes. And I know I don't need several bath towels, lotions, hand soaps and perfumes.
I know some handmade soap, a good moisturizer, mascara and concealer is what it takes to make me feel pretty. I know a few rags, vinegar and Bon Ami is all I need to keep a clean house.

Maybe that's not what you would call normal, but that's who I am. And I'm still learning just who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment